June 10, 2020
We had planned to record and release our season finale this week, but felt compelled to address the unfolding battle over police violence and systemic racism in our country which has come to a boil with the murder of George Floyd. Is there anything crazier than the people in our towns, who are sworn to protect and serve, instead coldly taking the lives of our neighbors? Given this moment in American history marked by outrage, sadness, and massive protest, we discuss the need to address institutional racism and white privilege. This is a short episode, because, although it’s important to speak up, it’s also important for white people to shut up and listen. As is customary in Crazy Town, we consider inequality and racism using the lenses of systems thinking and resilience science.
Click here to go back to the Crazy Town home page.
- Seeing White podcast
- Antiracist books by Ibram X. Kendi
- Antiracist book list
- Episode of The Daily podcast: “The Systems That Protect the Police“
- Adaptive cycle
- Asher’s interview with Nafeez Ahmed in a previous episode of Crazy Town
- Nahfeez Ahmed’s article “White Supremacism and the Earth System” takes an in-depth look at the connections between racial injustice, environmental breakdown, and the exploitative economic system that is behind both.
- Interview on The Daily podcast of Minneapolis mayor, Jacob Frey
- Article in The Onion, “Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First”
- E4 crises (energy, economy, environment, equity)
- PCI’s promotion of the “Seeing White” series from Scene On Radio
- Episode of The Daily podcast: “Why They’re Protesting“